In the wise words of Mugatu: “Water heaters…so hot right now.” Okay, maybe that’s not the exact line from Zoolander, but the truth is your water heater is what makes your home comfortable to live and function in — it keeps your water hot for doing dishes, washing your face, taking showers, relaxing in the bathtub and so much more. So, the water heater experts at Clay’s Climate Control are here with tips on how to choose the right water heater replacement for you — this way you can keep your comfort level up and your monthly costs down!
First Figure Out Fuel Availability, Then Figure Out Fuel Type
These days, there are many different types of fuel source options. However, different fuel sources are available in different parts of the country, so here’s a quick breakdown of the fuel options and which areas can utilize them:
- Electricity: Available in all parts of the U.S., this fuel source is a great option for electric tankless water heaters.
- Fuel oil: If you’re replacing your current system with a conventional one, this fuel type will work and is available in some parts of the U.S.
- Geothermal energy: Although it’s a more environmentally friendly option, this is only applicable to home’s that have — or will have — a geothermal system installed.
- Natural gas: This is a great option in most parts of the U.S. and can fuel conventional water heaters and tankless water heaters.
- Propane: Available in most parts of the U.S., this fuel source will work for tankless water heaters, conventional systems and combination water and space heating systems
- Solar energy: If you’re looking for the greenest fuel source, this one’s for you! However, it’s availability throughout the U.S. is limited — it’s most popular in the southwest — and can only be used for solar water heaters.
In This Case…Size Matters
Jokes aside, when you’re ready for a water heater replacement, you have to figure out which size will best serve you and your household. Too small and you won’t get enough hot water; too big and you’ll be wasting your money. To ensure your water heater replacement is a success for your comfort AND your wallet, it’s best to rely on the knowledge of water heater experts.
Remember: Energy Efficiency Makes Everything That Much Better
Whatever your reason may be for your water heater replacement, you’re going to want to replace your current unit with one that’s energy-efficient, so you can enjoy a system that saves you green (both environmentally and financially!). While there are a lot of energy-efficient water systems these days, we personally love electric tankless water heaters because they only heat water when you turn on the hot water tap.
Calculate Costs Now, Save Money Later
Before you commit to buying a new water heater, it’s important to figure out what the annual operating costs will be of the different systems you are considering. We know, we know, calculating costs can be time consuming, but determining the costs now will be worth it in the long run!
If you’re still not confident that you’ll choose the right water heater replacement for you, don’t worry — the team at Clay’s is always here to help! Contact us today to schedule your water heater replacement appointment.