You Make The Call, We Handle It All!


Give Us A Call

[email protected]

Send Us An Email

Service Experts of South Jersey


Most frequent questions and answers

It’s recommended that you check your air filters every month, but it can vary depending on the type of filter that you have. Disposable filters, which typically have a cardboard edge, should be replaced whenever they look dirty. Higher efficiency air filters can last almost three months before they need to be replaced. You should also check on your filters more often during higher-use seasons.

It’s recommended that you change your air filters every one to three months, depending on how frequently your HVAC system is in use. Other factors, like having pets, give reason to changing your air filter every month or 45 days.

Yes. There are fiberglass, pleated, HEPA, washable, and electrostatic filters. The filters you probably are most familiar with are the 1″ fiberglass or 1″ pleated filters, which can be purchased from any hardware store.

It’s very important that you have your heating and air conditioning equipment inspected, cleaned, and serviced at least once a year – regardless of what kind of system you have. To really stay ahead of the curve, it’s recommended that your heating system be checked out in the heating season, and your air conditioning checked in the summer.

The best humidity levels are within the 30%-40% range. Anything above can cause condensation on your windows, which can breed mold that leads to allergy and respiratory issues.

In relative humidity conditions of above 60%, a variety of ailments (like asthma, allergies, and respiratory infections) can be caused by mold, which thrive in those conditions. Dust mites also can thrive in as little as 50% relative humidity, which can cause allergies.

We offer a variety of air quality products from some of the top manufacturers on the market, like Honeywell and Aprilaire. We can supply and install air cleaners, humidifiers, dehumidifiers, and more! Call us today to find out how we can help you breathe easier in your home.

This can be tough to call, because many factors influence how long an HVAC system lasts. In addition to how often you run your system, the lifespan can also be influenced by the system’s age, the make and model, and how often the system was serviced.

At Clay’s, our systems, which come from a variety of the leading HVAC manufacturers, can last approximately 15 years with the right maintenance.


This is a great question, as ill-fitting systems can cause issues for your comfort at home. At Clay’s Climate Control, we use a Manual J heat load calculation to properly determine the correct system size needed for your home or office. We even do a room by room load calculation. This heat loss/heat gain analysis is the best indicator of the correct system size and provides the optimum results for efficiency and comfort. If your HVAC system is too big, you’ll find that it’s always a little too cold in the summer or too warm in the winter. Systems that are too small simply won’t get the job done, but they will drive your energy costs way up as they constantly operate.

Bigger is not necessarily better! Oversized equipment can cause short cycling, noise pollution, high humidity, and uneven comfort within the home. The most effective way to size heating and air conditioning equipment is to have a trained HVAC professional perform a Manual J heat loss calculation.

These are all acronyms that HVAC professionals and the industry as a whole use to represent the efficiency ratings of air conditioning or heating equipment. See below for descriptions of each.

Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio 2 (SEER2)

The Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio 2 scores an air conditioner or heat pump’s performance for a typical season in two different operating conditions. This is done to simulate different humidity levels. The SEER2 rating predicts how well an HVAC system will work in different seasons and weather patterns. This rating is very helpful for systems that work through a variety of weather scenarios.

Energy Efficiency Ratio (EER)

The Energy Efficiency Ratio (EER) measures the cooling efficiency of an HVAC system. It compares the cooling output (in BTUs) in hours to electrical watts. This helps to find out how efficiently your HVAC system is, based on output and energy.

Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency (AFUE)

The Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency (AFUE) rating averages an HVAC system’s efficiency regarding fossil fuels and heat output. An AFUE rating of 85% would say that 85% of the fuel used in your heating system is actually turning into heat energy, while the remaining 15% is lost. Venting and other issues can cause a loss in the conversion of fossil fuel to heat energy.